A new exhibit at the Clinton Presidential Library, "Revolution and Rebellion: Wars, Words and Figures," features artifacts, manuscript material, and other items from the collections of the Arkansas History Commission. The exhibit showcases thirty-five scale portrait sculptures of many of the pivotal players in both the American Revolution and the American Civil War. A number of the Founding Fathers are included as well as the leaders on both sides of the Civil War. These very detailed figures were made by the artist George Stuart and are loan from the Museum of Ventura County, California.
The History Commission is pleased to collaborate with the Presidential Library on this engaging exhibit. Some of the notable items from the State Archives displayed are:
State Archives and the Presidential Library are
•Arkansas Secession document, May 1861.
• Arkansas State Constitution, June 1861.
• Framed photograph of Governor Harris Flanagin and telegram announcing Flanagin's election as governor, October 25, 1862.
• David O. Dodd painting by William Besser.
•$2 Arkansas Treasury Warrant dated May 2, 1862, and Confederate States of America currency, ranging in denomination from $0.50 to $100.
•Union Civil War Regimental Flag, 6th Missouri Cavalry.
•1860 model, light cavalry saber, owned by Colonel Jacob Cooper Moles, commander of Polk's Confederate regiment of Arkansas Cavalry. Metal scabbard made by Providence Tool Company, Providence, Rhode Island, in 1862.
•Pistol carried throughout the Civil War by Charles Ogden of Van Buren, who served in Company G, Third Arkansas State Troops, and Company. G, 22nd Regiment, CSA. The muzzle-loading, percussion type derringer has a lock plate inscribed, "Manton, London." It has a walnut stock with checkering on the grips and a German silver trigger guard.
•Double-breasted frockcoat, Confederate, made from gray wool, with a lining of purple/grey/green plaid wool/silk on the front inside. The buttons indicate that it is the uniform of a Confederate Brigadier General.
• Fife, made from rosewood and German silver, used by Sergeant Monroe Parsley in Company D, 7th Arkansas Infantry, CSA. This fife has one key and comes apart in three sections.
• Wooden canteen that belonged to Captain John S. Brown, CSA, who was said to have been from Monticello, Arkansas. Captain John S. Brown served in Company C. 8th Tennessee and was killed at Resaca, Georgia, May 14, 1864. This canteen is constructed of cedar and copper.
• Union canteen taken from body of a Federal Captain in the battle of Atlanta, July 22, 1864, by A. N. Henderson, Confederate soldier and Arkansas pioneer.
The exhibit will run through May 22, 2011, at the north half of the third floor’s Changing Exhibit Gallery. The Arkansas Secession document and the 1861 Arkansas Constitution will also be displayed at the Old State House in mid-April for the Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission’s kick-off event.